Thursday, January 05, 2006

Bush Tinkers with Amtrak Board Again!

Progressive Railroading has the overview.

Reuters has a little more detail.

Two things strike me. First, Mineta has alot of nerve to make such comments as quoted by Reuters that do not obscure at all what he is trying to do to Amtrak. Second, the ball is now fully in Congress' Court; those legislatures who stomped and screamed when Gunn was fired need to step up now and squash these new Amtrak Board Appointees.

Otherwise, it is politics as usual and Amtrak, once again, becomes a victim.

1 Comments:

At 7:54 PM, January 05, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't want to cast aspersions on these men, but I think it's fair to question whether a Kmart or BP Amoco CEO knows anything about running a railroad. This goes doubly for one as oddly-situated as Amtrak.

Not that I'd immediately pack the board with men like David R. Goode or John Snow, but I'd at least like the board to have railroad experience of some kind. I'd even be willing to settle for someone who has an active subscription to Trains or Railway Age.

I mean, Paul A. Gorman reportedly did a very good job at Western Electric, but was he in any way suited to head the Penn Central?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home